Friday, March 6, 2009

First shots from flickr: Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S

The 35mm is being shipped out now. The first shots by the early adopters are popping up all over flickr.


The D40 looks so tiny and cute with this on! I love it!


I've found these two little groups where the new shots are being submitted to. There's a discussion going on at the Nikon D40/x/60 group.

And I also really like this set. Also by Lukas Hron.


, originally uploaded by -12°C.

First shots show: this lens can bring out incredible depth-of-field. Excellent potential bokeh. All the reviews praise the contrast it produces considering it's a 1.8 lens. Everyone but me seems to love it 'cuz its got 50mm equivalent field-of-view on DX.


But here's the problem. I don't see myself being excited by the 35mm on DX.

Opel Speedster, originally uploaded by Lukas Hron.
The focal length just isn't exciting to me. When I see the photos, I feel: "OK, now where's the rest of the picture?" (No offense Lukas, thanks for letting me use the pics for this post.)

I'm used to using the 18mm end of my kit lens, and zooming out near to the max of my 55-200mm. I like the extreme ends of my lenses, for the dramatic effect it adds to the pictures.

Plus, I checked out the 35mm focal length on my 18-55mm VR. It's very unflattering, and is maxed out at f5.3 already. So far, I don't enjoy it.

This lens is my only option at $200 for a 1.8 that autofocuses. I would like a 50mm 1.4, but that's almost $600 now. What I'd like even more is the 85mm. But that's $400, and won't autofocus on my D40x either. 

Both of my current lenses cost about $200. Maybe it's time to add another. 

I DO often push to ISO 3200, 'cuz I need it quite often. Maybe this'll really help. It DOES have such nice bokeh!

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered focussing manually and going for the AF-D 50mm f/1.8? It is inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice images. I'd go for this lens if I wasn't already on Canon :-p

    ReplyDelete